Chapter Ten: Week 2 Reading Anthology

For this assignment we got to read a lot of different stories. We were advised not to try to take notes on all of them, and instead ask ourselves which our favorites were and then proceed to take notes on those. 

Story number one:

The first story I wanted to take notes on is titled Two Turtle Jatakas by Ellen C. Babbitt. 

While considered one story, it actually seemed like two. One told the story of a wise turtle, and the other told the story of a turtle who was not so wise. It reminds me a lot of the story I read earlier this semester about the epic women. They each had a subsection to themselves, which really helped keep the stories from meshing together. I also liked how the author personified the turtles, it helped to get the purpose they were trying to convey across. The author also gets right to the point in this story, which is a style I admire. The lesson to be learned was acknowledged, whether it was obvious or not. You can read the story for yourself here.

Story number two:

The second story is written by Marie L. Shedlock and is titled The Crocodile and the Monkey’s Heart.

This story is structured like your typical fairytale story. It begins with once upon a time, and I love it. As a kid this line always grasped by attention because I knew what came after it. I like how most of the stories included this line. For the characters, the monkey and the crocodile, I like how the structure of the story shifted from this third person omniscient point of view to a first person point of view. It definitely fits the guidelines of a story we’d listen to when we were younger. The way the narration and characters are portrayed reminds me a lot of Ella Enchanted for some reason. I really like it. In this story there is also a lesson. I love that all these stories have lessons that the characters learned, or failed to learn. If you’d like to read this story it click here.

Story number three: 

The third story is written by W. H. D. Rouse and is titled Goblin City.

This story, like the previous one, is structured in such a way that you would think you’re watching a movie. I can hear the narrator’s voice in my head as I read. It’s very distinct. It also follows the classic fairytale starter line, although not in so many words. The last story started with once upon a time, but as we know, there are many ways to start a story. “Long, long ago” is one of them. This line also did a great job at preparing me for the amazing tale that was to follow, so I like that the author added it. It also reminds me of shrek, and I love shrek. This story was a bit more abrupt, but entertaining nonetheless. You can read it here

 Here is a photo of two turtles, which happens to be my favorite story I read today. I thought this was so precious.

(Photo from Wikimedia )

Comments

Popular Posts