Chapter Eighteen: Feedback Strategies

 The first article I read was titled Preschoolers and Praise: What Kinds of Messages Help Kids Grow? What I really enjoyed about this article was the emphasis on giving thorough praise. What I mean by thorough praise is giving feedback with substance. As the article mentions, it’s a comment that says more than “Good job!”. It super important, not just for preschoolers but everyone, to know what one did the help lead to success or what was hindering their project from being the best it can be. The article also talked about the power of “yet” and I can vouch that this absolutely works! When I began telling myself that I couldn’t do something, I would end the statement with “yet” because I would keep working until I could. 

The next article I read is titled Five Reasons to Stop Saying “Good Job!”. I’ve mentioned before my love of straightforward lists. This is exactly that! I want to focus more on the second point because I’ve dealt with this very topic my entire life. The author mentions that if we continuously praise children, they become dependent on our approval and don’t make those types of decisions for themselves. I grew up seeking approval and praise from any adult I deemed worthy of it. I struggle being able to make decisions for myself because I never had to make a decision about things that I could get praise for. One thing the author mentioned we could do was ask more and talk less, which I like because it will get people thinking about why they do things rather than doing things for praise and approval. 

I liked this photo because I thought this is exactly what we were trying to avoid
(Photo by DanaK~WaterPenny on Flickr)


Comments

Popular Posts