Chapter Twenty Four: Reading the Ramayana Again (Part A)

 We were tasked with reading a different version of the Ramayana to get a different perspective, or watching a film. I chose to watch the film, which I don’t regret one bit. 

What I thought was interesting about this film was that it told the story in three different ways. The first way he told the story of the Ramayana was that it told it in a modern version of a couple. The man of the current couple has gotten a job offer to go to India. Initially the contract is for six months, but then they extend his contract for another year. When his girlfriend learns of this she’s incredibly confused she thought he would only be gone for six months. He tells her that she can move there to India with him and that he loves her. So she does but when she arrives she finds that her boyfriend is incredibly distant and cold.This is supposed to reflect the Ramayana once Rama rescues Sita. 

The second way they tell the story of the Ramayana is through a musical. I thought this was ingenious because I tend to learn the music it’s the best way for me. Basically Sita goes to her entire story Singing songs that correlate to the current situation that she’s in. For example, when Rama leaves her she sings a song that demonstrates how sad she is.

The last way the story is told is through a very laid-back conversation between three people. They basically talk about the story in very laid-back terms and also it seems like they’re trying to remember the story they correct each other and really try to explain the story as best that they can but also they make it really fun. It’s almost as if they’re all part of a TV show and they’re talking about some thing that they grew up on which I think is the reality for them. It’s like they’re explaining the story to someone who’s never heard it before and they’re trying to remember what their parents had told them on when they were hearing the story for the first few times. It’s really a great way to learn about the story. I think this version really stuck with me mostly because I have never seen anything like this before. The three different ways in which the author, I guess, tells the story is so original that I’m always going to remember what I saw.

I became completely obsessed with the film and I’m so glad that I got to watch it. It’s called Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley. 


(Image titled Ram-Sita Swayamvara by Infinite Eyes on Flickr)


Comments

Popular Posts