Chapter Twenty Seven: Reading Notes - The Mahabharata, Part A (PDE Version)

 The first part of the story I found interesting was the very first story listed. I thought the choice of words were very interesting, but more importantly, I liked how the author introduced an essential character by giving her background. It really helps the story to move forward without much confusion. What I also thought was interesting was that Satyavati came from a fish. I'm actually inferring this, I don't think it was specifically mentioned that she was the girl who came from the fish, but it would make sense being that she's the only one the author mentions. 

The story is titled Vyasha and Ganesha and was written by John Mandeville Macfie.

The other part of this story I was very invested in was when Satyavati thinks of her first son to father more sons to the widows of her other son. At first I was incredibly confused, but as I re-read the portions that confused me, I began to understand more. Dharma, who was the god of justice apparently chose Vidura to be his human incarnation. This reminds me of Vishnu in the Ramayana. I think it's interesting how these two stories have similar concepts so far. 

This story is titled Dhritarashtra and Pandu and was written by Donald A. Mackenzie

The last part of the story I would like to talk about is the part where Kunti had to give up her son. This reminded me so much of a story I had heard a lot as a child. I think it was a bible story, but I'm not exactly sure. It followed almost the exact storyline, although I don't think the baby in the story I am thinking of was the son of a god. The child grew up to be adopted by a king and queen, but ended up retaliating against them for some wrongdoing of theirs that he didn't agree with. I think the similarity between the two stories is what really made me interested in this part of the story as well.

This story is titled Kunti and her Son and was written by Donald A. Mackenzie

(This photo is titled Mahabharata 5 uploaded by Patricia M on Flickr)


Comments

Popular Posts