Chapter Forty: Reading Notes- Jataka Tales Part A

 I chose to read the Jataka Tales, and I’m really glad! For part A, I started at the bottom with the Giant Crab. It was divided into sections, and of all the stories, I really liked the Giant Crab, The Pious Wolf, and the Hypocritical Cat. They resonated the most with me. 

These stories told lessons of creatures abusing the amount of power they had, or pretending to be better than they actually were. I think it’s really important that we have stories like those, especially for children because I don’t think it’s ever to early to teach our children that if they see someone abusing their power, it’s okay to call them out on it. We don’t have to be complacent. Maybe I’m thinking way too much into it,  though. I could be incredibly wrong and have missed the point entirely. But overall, that’s the message I got, and I love it. It was nice to read stories that included justice for the creatures who deserved it. I find that with the Indian Epics we have read, it isn’t so often that we see that. 

The stories I read were by W. H. D. Rouse and can be found here.

(This image was uploaded by our very own Laura Gibbs on Flickr titled Illustrations by W. H. Robinson)


Comments

Popular Posts